Meet Skip Rowland ’83
• I was born in Richmond and raised in rural Virginia.
• I earned my BBA from William & Mary in ’83 with a concentration in marketing and a strong background in English and Computer Science.
• My wife of 30 years, Nina, earned her BA from University of Delaware and her JD from Temple University.
• Our children are members of the William & Mary Tribe (Classes of ’18 & ’20).
• We live in Hanover County (just outside of Richmond, about an hour from Williamsburg) with our rescued pets.
• I worked in various sales and marketing positions for a number of years after college.
• I have been self-employed since ’87 except for a 9-month stint with a consulting firm.
• I built a database consulting company that served government, corporations, large and small businesses.
• I started working as a full-time photojournalist in 2005 and earned numerous awards from the Virginia Press Association, including a Photographer of the Year recognition.
My Professional Relationship with William & Mary
• I have been handling editorial and portrait assignments for W&M Magazine since 2005.
• I have been handling event work for the university since 2006 (homecoming 2019 was my 14th homecoming handling photography for the Alumni Association.).
• I have been working for or with nearly every entity that comprises the university, including but not limited to: the President’s Office, the Provost’s Office, the Muscarelle Museum of Art, the School of Education, the School of Business, the School of Arts & Sciences, the Office of Advancement, the Alumni Association, Creative Services, Historic Campus, Swem Library, the 50th Legacy, and the Society of 1918.
• I have been, in addition to providing photography for the university, training and mentoring student photographers.
Skip Rowland Photography
• Is a full-service photography agency.
• Is equipped to professionally handle nearly every type of photography assignment.
• Provides digital darkroom expertise.
• Has digital asset management expertise.
• Offers consulting and mentoring services.
• Tailors deliveries to the client’s needs, whether that means prints, un-processed out-of-camera files, or publication-ready images.
• Operates a portable studio that can set up nearly anywhere to shoot anything from headshots to full-body portraits to group photos.
• Can capture formal group portraits and very large group photos.
• Operates an on-site printing service that can deliver prints within minutes.
• I am committed to serving higher education.
• Everything I do is in support of making positive changes in our community, country, and world.
• I strive to be the best value decision anyone can make.
Skip Rowland ’83